We promised an art demo exe of the THMPR on a plain white background. As a extra bonus, we decided to create some sample terrain to go along with it.
Em-8ER is a icy/volcanic world. Volcanoes with lava flows exist next to freezing snow and ice. The idea was inspired by the moon Io, which orbits Jupiter, and the fire and ice terrain of Iceland and part of Russia.
To create the look, we first had to create some terrain textures that would let us have snow, ice, volcanic rock, lava and snow/rock combinations.
No pictures were used to create these textures. Nothing was hand painted. Everything was created procedurally from filters, masks and nodes in Substance Designer. This lets us scale textures to any size we need, and also lets us easily modify them.
This week, Grummz completed the first pass of all required terrain tiles. Next up we will see how they fit together in Unreal’s terrain editor and make tweaks from there.
– JoeSolo has started on the Omniframe modeling
– Ekiator has a upcoming test of the Em-8ER network code and server
– Warren is finishing a pin-up poster of an Em-8ER pilot for the vision book
– Grummz has started the Unreal Terrain sculping
– Em-8ER intro lore for vision book is 75% done
We’ll be back soon with another update!